Created by John Conley on January 19, 2017
- Prep Time: 40m
- Cook Time: 12m
- Total Time: 52m
- Yield: Makes about 6 cups
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a food processor, add flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and 2 tsp. cinnamon. Pulse until combined. Add 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar and salt and pulse for 30 seconds. Add buttermilk, vanilla and honey. Pulse until the dough comes together. Mixture will be stiff, but slightly crumbly.
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper, the size of your baking sheets. Cut the dough into two balls and place onto the parchment paper. Roll each dough out with a rolling pin into a 1/8-inch thick rectangle – the thickness of a quarter. Place parchment and dough onto baking sheets.
- Prick dough all over with a fork. With a knife or a pizza cutter cut the dough into 1/2-inch squares.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and remaining 2 tsp. cinnamon.
- Brush the dough with remaining butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place trays in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Lightly separate the squares and let rest on the baking sheet overnight, or until crunchy.