Sweet and juicy pears are more than just delicious. A medium pear is a good source of the antioxidant vitamin C (1), helping to boost immunity. They’re packed with fiber that can fill you up (2), keeping your energy levels and appetite in check. It’s the perfect snack!
Pears can be found with a variety of peel colors, like green, brown, yellow and red, and each color has a slightly different flavor. All pears have the phytochemical flavonoids (3), which may support mood and appetite (5). Be sure to eat the peel to get the most nutritional benefits (4).
(1) Vitamin C as an antioxidant: evaluation of its role in disease prevention. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12569111
(2) USDA Food Composition Databases, https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
(3) Where Are Phytochemicals Found? http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_understand_foods/phytochemicals_found.html
(4) What’s New and Beneficial About Pears, http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=28
(5) Pears Fight Diabetes, http://blog.usapears.org/?p=2946