Created by Carol Reyes on September 29, 2016
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 1h 40m
- Serves: 6
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large Sugar Pie pumpkin, cut in half and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups each: coarsely chopped parsnip and chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery root
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. each: dried sage and thyme
- 1 cup fat-free or regular half & half
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with foil. Lightly coat one sheet with olive oil and place pumpkin cut side down on sheet. Toss vegetables with olive oil and place on second baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring vegetables after 20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, remove pumpkin skin and place pumpkin in a large pot with vegetables, broth and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Carefully puree in a blender* or with an immersion blender until very smooth, then stir in herbs; simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in half & half and season with pepper.