Created by David Angstead on November 30, 2016
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 9h 6m
- Total Time: 9h 16m
- Serves: 6
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 lb. green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (5-oz.) package baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. crumbled feta
- 6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring often. Add garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Transfer to a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, peas and salt and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for about 9 hours or until peas are very tender.
- Add spinach in batches and stir until wilted. Stir in 1/4 cup mint. Using an immersion blender, puree soup. (Alternately, puree soup in batches in a blender*.) Stir in lemon juice. Ladle into 6 bowls; top evenly with feta and olive oil and sprinkle with additional mint.