Created by David Angstead on November 30, 2016
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 8h 17m
- Total Time: 8h 27m
- Serves: 6
- 1 lb. Raley’s boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. grated, peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. each: turmeric, ground coriander and paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped fresh cilantro and thinly sliced scallions (garnish)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes or until well-browned, turning occasionally. Transfer to a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add celery and onion to skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, paprika and cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup broth and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker.
- Add remaining broth, carrots and tomatoes to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until chicken and vegetables are very tender.
- Add garbanzo beans, then cover and cook 10 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in lemon juice. Ladle evenly into 6 bowls and top with parsley, cilantro and scallions.