Created by David Angstead on December 21, 2016
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 50m
- Serves: 12
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 lbs. russet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks*
- 1 (16-oz.) bag Raley’s Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed
- 1 to 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-oz.) package Raley’s Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 15 minutes or until very soft and lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- While onions are cooking, boil potatoes in a large pot of water for 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork; drain well and place back in pot.
- While potatoes are cooking, squeeze spinach with your hands to remove excess liquid.
- Mash potatoes while still warm, then stir in 1½ cups milk, cheese, spinach, salt and onions; season with pepper. Add additional milk if needed. Place back on burner and cook until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Season with pepper and additional salt, if you like.
*If skins are thick, peel or partially peel potatoes before cutting.
- Nutrition per serving: 270 calories, 11 g protein, 11 g total fat (7 g sat., 0 g trans), 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 34 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 10 points